Endocrine disrupting ingredients in skincare
Endocrine disrupting ingredients in skincare products are wreaking havoc on our health and well-being. These ingredients, while they may make our skin look good, can actually be extremely harmful to our bodies. Endocrine disrupting ingredients are known to cause hormone imbalances and some are known carcinogens.
So, what are the endocrine disrupting ingredients in skincare products?
Here’s a list of 10 of the more common ones to look out for:
- Parabens – Parabens are a type of preservative that are widely used in cosmetic products, but are known to disrupt hormones and can even be carcinogenic.
- Phthalates – Phthalates are a type of plasticizer used in cosmetics to make products last longer and keep their scent. They can disrupt the endocrine system and damage reproductive health.
- Triclosan – Triclosan is a type of synthetic antibacterial agent commonly used in soaps and body washes. It can disrupt hormones, cause reproductive toxicity, and can even lead to cancer.
- Oxybenzone – Oxybenzone is a type of sunscreen chemical that can act as an endocrine disruptor and is linked to cancer.
- Formaldehyde – Formaldehyde is a preservative used in cosmetics, but is known to disrupt hormones, as well as cause irritation and respiratory problems.
- Siloxanes – Siloxanes are a type of silicone-based chemical used in cosmetics and skincare products to make them smoother and softer. They can disrupt hormones and lead to reproductive issues.
- BHA and BHT – BHA and BHT are two preservatives commonly used in skincare products, but are known to disrupt hormones and can even act as carcinogens.
- Sodium Lauryl Sulfate and Sodium Laureth Sulfate – These two chemicals are commonly used in soaps, shampoos, and body washes, but are known to irritate the skin and disrupt hormones.
- PEGs – PEGs are a type of synthetic chemical used in skincare products to help them penetrate the skin, but they are known to disrupt hormones and can even cause cancer.
- Lead – Lead is a toxic metal that is sometimes found in cosmetics, but is known to disrupt hormones and can even cause cancer.
These endocrine disrupting ingredients can be found in many skincare products, but why are they so bad for us? Endocrine disrupting ingredients have been linked to numerous health problems, including infertility, cancer, reproductive issues, and hormone disruption.
They can also lead to skin irritation and allergies. The good news is that there are safe alternatives to these endocrine disrupting ingredients. Natural plant derived skincare products are a great way to keep your skin healthy and free from harmful toxins.
Plant-based ingredients such as aloe vera, jojoba oil, and kakadu plum are all safe and effective options that nourish and protect the skin without any of the toxic chemicals.
So, next time you’re shopping for skincare products, be sure to read the labels and look out for endocrine disrupting ingredients. Switch to natural plant-derived skincare products and you’ll be doing your skin and your health a huge favour.
Want more? Follow usShop plant-based skincare