Is natural or synthetic vitamin C better?
Why natural vitamin C is better than synthetic, explained.
Why we love natural vitamin C
1. Natural vitamin C is extracted from fruits, berries & vegetables via processing methods that don't introduce any chemical additives.
2. Natural vitamin C is more easily absorbed by the body and often more potent than synthetic vitamin C.
3. Natural vitamin C contains additional beneficial components such as antioxidants, minerals, and enzymes that are not found in synthetic versions.
Why we want to avoid synthetic vitamin C in skincare?
1. Synthetic vitamin C products often contain additives left behind during chemical processing that can accumulate in the liver or cause sensitivity in the skin.
2. Synthetic vitamin C in skincare is not as easily absorbed & if not formulated correctly won’t absorb at all.
3. Synthetic vitamin C is less potent and less stable than natural vitamin C.
Checking a label
When it comes to vitamin C we can't simply search for names and know if they are natural or synthetic as many ingredients share the same name. Check that the product specifies natural vitamins have been used and if in doubt, ask!
Vitamin C that could be natural or synthetic
1. Ascorbic acid
2. L-Ascorbic acid
3. Magnesium ascorbyl phosphate
Vitamin C Ingredients that are always synthetic
1. Ascorbyl Palmitate
2. Ethyl Ascorbic Acid
3. D-Isoascorbic acid
Other ingredients high in Vitamin C that are natural
1. Kakadu Plum
2. Rosehip Seed Oil
3. Goji Berry
4. Sea Buckthorn
5. Citrus fruits
Here's our top picks for all-natural vitamin C skincare for anti-ageing & skin brightening.
Natural vitamin C assist in stimulating collagen production and reduce the visible appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. Used in a complete skin care regime your natural cell turnover is boosted, fading away superficial sun damage and revealing a brighter and smoother complexion. Combined with an infusion of nourishing active ingredients to restore moisture levels your skin is revitalised and renewed.
To find your nearest Lèkura® Skincare Specialist visit www.lekura.com.au or send us a message on Instagram www.instagram.com/lekura_australia